I used to get so frustrated with bobby pins! They never seemed to hold anything, they would slide out, leaving my hair a mess and undone. I would pin like 30 in my hair for updos for special occasions. Then throughout the night I would feel them shifting and sliding in my hair, and by the end of the night my hair would have fallen several inches. Boo! But NO longer! I finally learned how to get them to hold my hair and stay for hours! So I want to share these tips I learned with all of y’all!
1. This is very important: Use good quality bobby pins. I always used to just pick up whatever pack of bobby pins I saw in the drugstore. However, I highly recommend going to Sally’s Beauty Supply and picking up their quality bobby pins or ordering them online. It makes such a huge difference!
2. Everyone always uses their teeth to open Bobby Pins, this is NOT the correct way to use them! By opening them you ruin the integrity of the Bobby Pin, so they become loose and unable to use. Instead they are already built to slide into your hair.
3. Yes, this means most people put them in upside down! When I learned the correct way to put them in, it was weird because it felt like I was putting them in upside down, even though it was the right way!
3. You don’t actually need to catch ALL of the hair in the pin. If your twisting your hair then pinning it down, you really only need to pin the small section of the twist that was from the bottom of your hair. This small piece of hair should be twisted around the rest of the hair and hold it in place easily.
3. Finally the secret to not having to use a ton of bobby pins is learning the “lock” technique. When you go to use the bobby pin catch a little bit of hair with the little “arm” then slide it in just a little, then lift, flip and slide the bobby pin in the rest of the way. I know that’s confusing, so here’s a video explaining and showing the “locking” trick:
So good luck y’all! Hopefully this helps with all your updos and special occasions!